Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Change

                    Life can change in just a few moments for some the change will bring happiness, others pain and still others confusion about who they are.  My current life change is a medical one that has changed my life in many ways.  Some of you are probably thinking that something bad has happened and will life ever be the same for me.  Well actually something has gone right....I found out that I have Celiac Sprue Disease.
                     Now before you freak out and feel bad for me I want you to know that it has been a blessing to find this out.  Why? You ask...Well chances are very high that it is why I have depression, anxiety, acid reflux, poor dental health, and a couple other things.  Since going off gluten containing foods I have felt a hundred times better than in past months and even years.  I've thought to myself..'so this is what it feels like to be a normal person'. I can't believe what I've missed out in life just because of a protein in wheat, barley, and rye. 
                    Sure the transition is interesting to say the least.  To make bread or any other baked goods it takes a special combination of several different flours and many other ingredients to achieve the same type of texture and nutrition. I never knew so many different things existed just for cooking and baking.  For the most part it's just a hassle while grocery shopping.  I have to read every label and decipher the technical names for derivatives from wheat, barely, and rye.  All fruits and veggies are good! I do have to check some meats because of how they are processed.  So much for getting in and out of grocery stores. It now takes me longer to shop but I'm eating healthier.  No more grabbing sweets off the shelves just because they look good, no more stocking up on crackers and eating and entire box in one sitting.  Even some ice cream has gluten! Oh well not like I've been eating a lot of that anyway.
       Funny Story though, so I went to get a biopsy of my small intestine  to see how bad the damage is and to confirm celiac.  The only rides I could get were one person to drive me there and another to pick me up. Well when I came out of the procedure and was in recovery the person to pick me up was already there.  They went to find the dr/nurse to have me discharged.  When he walked back into my little sheeted off room we over heard the nurse stating "Courtney in 15 and her husband are waiting to be seen by the dr"  This made both of us chuckle since we're both completely single.  I turned to him stating "so...we're married, huh?" him "I guess do you remember it??? Because I don't." Me "nope" Him " well I guess the nurse does, they must have been there."  It's great!! I now have a new inside joke!
      See what I mean about life changing so fast, not only did I find out I have an autoimmune disease but I'm also married lol  I wonder what is next?

No comments:

Post a Comment